Tuesday, April 15, 2008

tagged!

Marc tagged me. And since I'm lacking creativity (and it's proper blogging etiquette) I'll play along.

If you could go anywhere on vacation where would you go?
I think right now I'd go back to the Amazon. I could also be happy in another tropical paradise or somewhere beautiful in Africa, but the Amazon is a known paradise. A tropical island somewhere is also sounding nice...

Where would you retire? Somewhere warm. I could happily settle (I think) in Arizona or New Mexico. Or even Old Mexico. As long as I had enough money to visit friends and family.

Most memorable birthday? 23rd. David flew me to San Francisco (my favorite U.S. city) and proposed on the rocky "beach" under the Golden Gate Bridge. But I have to share my, apparently, least memorable birthday tale, too. I was 8 months pregnant with Noodle when I turned 24, so I think my brain just glossed over the fact that I was a year older. When people asked how old I was (which admittedly didn't happen all that often) I was still telling them 23 until about the next March, when I told someone and then realized, a few hours later, "Wait! I'm 24!" I still feel like I'm 23. Which is why 30 in exactly three weeks is a bit daunting. Happily I have many friends, including David, on the other side, so I'm hopeful that neither life nor fun ends at thirty.

What is your favorite flower? I love lilacs for their smell and delicate beauty (and they are delicious when candied and put on a birthday cake), and I like the fact that they bloom around my birthday.

When was the last time you cried? Hmm, I've been a dry crier lately. Saturday night, probably (from the movie Kite Runner).

What did you do last night? Went to see Polynesian Dancers at the library, then out for yummy SmartCookies with friends. Came home, put the kids to bed, and listened to Love, Stargirl book on CD.

What are you afraid of? Losing loved ones. Also, grown people in masks scare me a little.

3 bad habits? Staying up too late, sleeping in too late, blaming people for things too soon

If I were a billionaire I would? Open an animal refuge/sanctuary

A few things your friends might not know about you? I am very gifted at picking things up with my toes. Once I even made a postcard (complete with cutting, glueing and writing) only with my feet. I'm a really great Scrabble & Boggle player. I take lousy care of my cuticles.

I tag? Blue, Debra & Native Minnow.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I knew about the toe thing ;) And being 30 is great!

Debra said...

All good information to know. I've tucked it away for future use, such as the time that I'm certain will come when I have need for a card made by a woman's feet. I have personal experience with your gift for Boggle. I totally relate to your fear of losing loved ones. This is a hard one! I'll have to think about some of these questions! Most memorable birthday? It's so hard to remember the THIRTY-plus birthdays I've had, especially when I hit THIRTY ONE and my memory really started to go. THIRTY TWO it was the eyesight and THIRTY THREE was the ability to get up from the sitting position. THIRTY FOUR was the worst as I'm now no longer able to update or replace anything in my home and wardrobe because "it's still perfectly good." I hate to think what THIRTY FIVE *gasp* brings!

Blue said...

i was without internet for 36 hours. oh horrors! it'd be easier to go without food than internet. but not heat, because i am always cold. which is why i'm so happy to be living somewhere it gets scorching hot in the summer now! on those hot days, at least i'm not cold. in Vermont, even the hottest summer days weren't enough to wear off the chill of the frigid winter months.

i'll take your tag and get to it as soon as i can. even though i've done a meme recently. sometimes i'm creativly challenged too.

Native Minnow said...

I'm too lazy to copy all this over to my blog, so I'm just going to play along here in the comments section of yours. I hope you're ok with that. If not, tough.

Vacation: Right now I'd probably want to go to the Mediterranean. I've been dying to go to Italy, and I'd like to visit Greece as well. Come to think of it, why don't we go ahead and make it a tour of all of Europe while we're playing make believe.

Retirement: I'm not sure yet, but I think I'd like to have a few different places to go. Maybe a cabin at Flaming Gorge for the summertime, a house someplace warm for the winter. Of course, realistically, it'll probably just be wherever I end up career wise.

Memorable B-Day: Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'm going to go with the one when I was a kid and my mom made me a cake that looked like Gizmo from the Gremlins. I'm sure I've had better, but that one sticks out right now. Although, my b-day is just around the corner, so maybe this year's will trump them all.

Favorite Flower: I don't really have one. I like a lot of wildflowers, and snapdragons are definitely cool. Then again, so are roses, tulips, lilies, etc. I'm waffling here, so what?

Last time I cried: When I read my friend's blog post about his mother's funeral and how he feels like he got ripped off because she died so young. I felt like I take too much for granted in my life.

What did I do last night: Met a fellow cyprinid phylogeographer and talked about research. Then, since he's visiting Vegas, went out with him for a night on the town.

What are you afraid of: Failure. As a student, and as a parent.

3 bad habits: Biting my fingernails, spitting every time I step outside, and my bad posture (which has contributed to my recent back problems).

If I were a billionaire: I'd probably do the same thing as I do now, but I'd pay for my research myself. I'd also go at a slower pace (if possible), and take time to travel the world. Who knows? I'd probably get around to making charitable donations and such, but probably not until after I'd had some fun. I'm kind of a selfish jerk that way.

A few things friends don't know about me: I'm a good Scrabble player (do I sense a challenge?), I'm working on a manuscript that's not part of my dissertation (don't tell my advisor either), and I snore (hey, some of my friends don't know that).

Native Minnow said...

By the way, the fear of failure is not necessarily in the order in which I've listed them.

;-)

mindy said...

Thanks for playing, Native Minnow. I say it counts just fine. :o) Good and insightful answers. Next time you're in town, bring the kids to play in our backyard and we can have a Scrabble showdown. (Seriously, you're welcome to. It'd be fun.)