Friday, April 28, 2006

musicals & cake decorating contests

This week I checked out "My Fair Lady" from the library, as David had never seen it. This fact came to light last week, and I was in disbelief. I know guys are typically NOT into musicals, but C'MON! Hasn't EVERYone seen "My Fair Lady?" Apparently not! We watched it, and he quite liked it. The humor is really clever, and Rex Harrison & Audrey Hepburn really are fabulous, so I was glad that he liked it, too.

Which reminds me...one of my "tests" for guys back when I was single & dating was whether or not they liked the movie "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (newest version with the actress who played Dr. Quinn whose real name I can't remember right now). David and I were quite serious before I had the chance to show it to him, we may have even been married, but LUCKILY he liked the movie so we didn't have to do anything drastic. That really is one of my all-time favorite movies. Before the movie, I loved the book. In 10th grade we read it for class (and I'd already read it a couple of times before that) and instead of writing a paper or doing another sort of project, my teacher divided us into groups and had us decorate a cake relevant to the themes/plot of the book. My group make a guillotine out of pretzel sticks and chocolate & a blade of aluminum foil, then used Lego people to act out a beheading scene. We used that red gel frosting from the tube to add a touch of realism. I don't remember if we won or not, so we probably didn't. I think some lame European map won, showing England and France with flags on the cake or something.

And THAT reminds me of another cake decorating contest that I lost. The summer I was 19 I worked in Jacob Lake, AZ at a little lodge there. We had activities every week, and one week it was decorating cakes. My group decided to illustrate the song "Particle Man" on our cake, complete with Universe Man, Particle Man, Triangle Man & Person Man. We didn't win. So, we started digging into the cake with our hands and made a big disgusting mess of it (and ourselves). At the end, we formed the rest of the cake into a triangle and shouted out "See! Triangle WINS!" to the rest of the teams. I'm pretty sure they just thought we were crazy poor losers at that point. Which was fine, because it fit into my reputation as just crazy anyways.

Here's a totally unrelated picture of Spud climbing up the front steps:

2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I've never seen My Fail Lady or the Scarlet Pimpernell, so it's a good thing we never went out. It would've ended badly ;-)

You totally should have won both of those cake decorating contests. Maybe I'll steal your idea for a guillotine scene on a cake sometime.

mindy said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the cake decorating. I wouldn't recommend a guillotine scene on a birthday cake, though, unless you are trying to end a friendship. If that's the case, go ahead! You really should see the Scarlet Pimpernel. Great lines like, "Sink me," and "Odd's fish." Plus it is just a really fun story.