Monday, July 23, 2007

what is "good times, noodle salad"?

I like movies, generally, but I particularly enjoy a movie that captures a certain reality of the human existence. Often I find this element in foreign films, but occasionally a hollywood flick does it as well. One such movie is "As Good as It Gets" (which I would italicize rather than use quotation marks, but for some reason my italicize option has disappeared...). I love the odd, messy lives of the main characters and how they can't quite get their lives to match what is supposed to be the American Dream. They are three people who never would have chosen to be together, but whose lives intersected and they are left to figure out how to salvage themselves. So when the characters played by Helen Hunt, Jack Nicholson and the other guy whose name I am too tired to look up, go on a road trip, Nicholson is forced to sit in the back seat but is desperately trying to keep the attention and win affection from Hunt. Other guy is talking about fond memories and favorite activities, and Nicholson interrupts and ends with "Good times, noodle salad." To me, the phrase represents the messiness of life, and even though things frequently don't turn out the way we hoped, there are still a lot of good times to be had. And noodle salad.

And another time I'll share the short tale of how Noodle came to be called such.

No comments: