Friday, December 19, 2008

i am my mother's daughter

I needed elastic to finish up Noodle's pajama pants for Christmas, so I went to JoAnns Fabrics today. We thought it would be quick, so I just ran in while David and the kids waited in the car. They were COMPLETELY out of pre-cut elastic, but fortunately had some that you can get cut at the cutting table. Unfortunately, you have to take a number and wait in line. My number was 25 and they were on 19, so I had a few minutes to kill. (Oh, I failed to share the story of how I took the kids to JoAnns on Black Friday. My number was 68, I think, and they were in the 30s. Only a bit later I found out they were on H30-something, and I was I-68. We were there for three hours! To keep the kids happy, we hid things among the fabric and had "treasure hunts," and also wadded up ads and played basketball with a shopping basket. I was amazed that we made it through with our sanity relatively intact. And all for super cheap flannel.) Anyways, I decided to spent my time waiting today looking at the remnants bin, and what do you know, they were 75% off the regular price. Normally remnants are 50% off the "standard" price, so they were an additional half off of that low price. Yippee!! I couldn't resist and bought three different pieces. One for a Christmas gift for my SIL, one for a superhero cape for Spud, and one for some future cool craft. All that, plus the elastic for less than $7. Yay!

So, yeah, I don't know what it says about me that my favorite places to shop lately are JoAnns, Savers & D.I. I guess it's just a different manifestation of my mom's love of garage sale-ing. (Which I do love, too, but it's harder to get out and do with the kids.)

2 comments:

Debra said...

OK, so I'll drive 10 miles to retrieve a lost list, and you'll wait three hours for flannel. It's nice to know I'm not the only person "dedicated" to a cause. :)

mindy said...

Goodness, you mean I'm as crazy as YOU, just in a different way?? aaaack!! *wink*