Tuesday, August 07, 2007

the earth says hello!

I took Daisy out for a run this morning, and I loved the feeling of my lungs working and breathing the cool morning air. Of course that wore off eventually, but it was great while it lasted. There is some new construction not too far from our house, and in the little strip between the sidewalk and the road where there will eventually be grass, there are hundreds and hundreds of those mini-sunflowers. It was gorgeous! I have some of those sunflowers in my front yard, courtesy of the birds that ate at my feeder this past winter. We would see some of them land (often the red-winged blackbirds) and perch on the footrest, dig their beaks into the seeds and then fling their heads wildly back and forth, scattering all sorts of seeds everywhere! I thought it was rather a buttheady thing to do, but at least I get to enjoy the sunflowers now.

On a somewhat related note, I still giggle at myself sometimes when I'm running with Daisy. I don't think most people would consider a fluffy white little dog as much of a running companion, but I have found her to be perfect. She is actually quite a speed demon, so there is no worry about her keeping up, but she doesn't pull my arm off with her enthusiasm (it helps that she's only 14 lbs) but she does keep me going often times when I'd rather walk. Many people get labradors for jogging partners, which is actually ridiculous as a single lab could easily be a jogging partner for a half dozen people. Kind of like getting a Ferrari for commuting to work when a Kia would suffice.

No comments: