Friday, June 30, 2006

and he can sing, too!

One of my former roommates introduced me to the music of Sarah Brightman, and on the one album of her's that I bought she sings a couple duets with the male singer Andrea Bocelli. I remember this roommate and a fellow vocal-performing friend of hers discussing Andrea Bocelli, and they were just raving and gushing over him, and how amazing it is that he is such a good singer, blah blah blah, because he's BLIND. I didn't think of it too much at the time, but after David & I were married and were listening to this CD in the car (it's "nighttime" music for the kids) I thought of it again and realized how inane it was. He's blind, but he can still sing!! Amazing. Oh wait, being blind wouldn't really make it all that hard to sing now, would it. As long as you have a good memory, it seems like you could do just fine. I think I'm a bit more impressed by blind players of instruments, or deaf singers. A deaf singer would be truly amazing, but I think that's about impossible. Well, not for them to sing, but for them to be good at it. Which reminds me of poor Beethoven in his last years, trying so hard to hear the music he was composing that he cut the legs off of a piano to better feel the vibrations. I love Beethoven's music. When I was in Vienna I got to visit his former home, and also his grave. He was a neat man.

No comments: