Thursday, July 03, 2008

laddie & gratitude

(if you squish the title of this post, it's "latitude.")


I read it in a whirlwind to finish before our discussion group met tonight, but I give Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter (same author as highly reviewed-by-me Freckles) five stars. This book has it all--enlightening thoughts on education, characters who inspire you to improve your own life, mystery, adventure, romance, humor, fabulous pastoral descriptions...I could probably go on for a bit longer. This book is on the Thomas Jefferson Education short list of classics to get started in furthering your own education and developing the skills necessary to be an effective mentor, and after finishing it, I can plainly see why. This book is online in its entirety on Google Books. I was fortunate enough to borrow a copy from a friend, since it isn't quite the same to sit at my computer on a metal folding chair and read such a lengthy work. (sidenote:I think I need a more comfortable office chair....maybe it's time to hit D.I. when I get some disposable income.)

Anyways, you should read it. It's fabulous.

Today I'm grateful for ward/neighborhood members who look out for each other. And for people with skills willing to share them. And that my house is no longer 85 degrees.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I love that you can find books online. So cool!

We do have a good ward and neighborhood, don't we? Glad you're not still roasting.