Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm going to make an enemy...

on a mothering list that I belong to.

Lady1 posted:
Hello all I am in need of some help. I have four
female and one male AKC
Yellow lab pups that need to find new homes. The
females are $350 and the
males $300. IF you know of anyone who may be
interested, please forward
this to them or give them my number. Thank you all
very much!! My number
is XXX-XXXX.

Lady2 replied:
we are looking for a puppy and a lab is high on the
list. can you send photos and any details about
disposition?

And I replied:

As a big advocate for and believer in animal rescue and responsible breeding, I just want to point out that responsible breeders have homes for the litter BEFORE animals are mated. Also, responsible breeders health and temperament test all animals before breeding. Millions of animals are killed every year in animal shelters. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die."

Mindy

P.S. Lady2, there is a lab rescue group in Utah County, http://www.utahlabrescue.com/, that helps place abandoned dogs and puppies that desperately need homes. They very often have puppies, even purebreds. You might consider looking into them.
------------
I don’t think Lady1 will like me much anymore. But it can’t be less than I like her. If you are going to breed animals, you damn well better do it in the MOST responsible way. Not just because you shelled out $$ for a purebred and want to “recoup your losses.”

No comments: