Monday, January 09, 2006

Dog Days




We were at David’s folks house today and I was taking advantage of their high-speed internet to peruse the pit bull rescue websites. It kills me to think that I’m STILL not in a house, mostly for the reason that for the past two years I’ve been dreaming of the day when I could adopt my very own rescued pit bull. It started with my love of Great Danes. I was on a Great Dane mailing list, and one of the members had a personal website with pictures of her dogs. I checked it out to drool over her danes, and discovered her other cute dogs. I didn’t know what they were, but I was intrigued. They had short short hair, of medium size, and looked like fun, happy-go-lucky dogs. I soon found out they were pit bulls. I couldn’t believe it, as I thought pit bulls were the Spuds Mckenzie and Target dogs. I soon learned that those are Bull Terriers, which don’t generally fall into the “pit bull” classification. The three breeds commonly referred to as “pit bulls” are Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and American Pit Bull Terriers, with very fine distinctions between the latter two (and admittedly some overlap as some dogs are registered as both with different registries). I started researching pit bulls like mad (like I do all of my interests) and quickly was able to get past the myths and media hype. Also since that time I’ve met a number of pit bulls, and they have been the friendliest dogs I’ve ever come across. It is all about the handling of these wonderful animals. They have an inclination to be lovers when it comes to people. And though many do have “dog aggression,” that is a completely different thing from human aggression. Think of it like beagles having “rabbit aggression”. Dog aggression was bred into most bloodlines historically, so you have to expect it to manifest itself. That said, many pit bulls do great with other dogs, but it’s always good to be smart.

Anyways, I digress. I was using the high-speed internet to find my newest dream dog. And I found a couple of beautiful pups. If I had a house right now, I’d drive clear across the country to pick one of these pups up. How can you resist??? I certainly can't!

No comments: