My friend Michelle tagged me. These are honestly the first 6 quirks that came to mind. Feel free to comment on these or add your own. I actually like being quirky. In college my sister described me to her roommates as "eccentric," and while I would probably reserve that word for crazy-cat-lady types, I didn't mind it so much. (You should click and look at the definition...the first sentence of it is actually what I aspire to be.) I find I'm at my happiest when I'm being true to my own self and not worrying about what others think. It took me until I was 19 to get to the point where I felt like I "found" myself and was happy with what and who I was. I had an inkling on a trip to Germany at age 16, but it didn't really come out until later. Anyways...that's a post in itself.
Six Quirky things about me
1. I have monkey feet. Once in college, just to see if I could do it, I made a collage postcard for my then-boyfriend, only using my feet. I cut, pasted, and wrote with only my toes. I think the fact that my second toes are longer (by a noticeable amount) than my big toes. And my third toes are actually a wee smidge longer than my big toes. Monkey feet, I tell ya.
2. I collect rat/mouse paraphernalia. Sadly, right now I haven't decided on a good way to display them, so most of them are in a bag. I've been collecting them for a few years, shortly after I got into owning REAL rats, and I like it because they are not that common, especially the rats.
3. I put my deodorant on with one hand, under both arms. I don't switch hands. I didn't know this was weird until one day (way back when) David saw me doing it and pointed out that it was weird. So I guess it's weird.
4. I won two all-school spelling bees in grade school. Grades 3 & 5. I didn't make it super far at the district meet, though. I was a super speller in 1st grade and didn't miss a single word all year. Even now, I can spell words that I don't even know with pretty decent accuracy. (David loves it because he often has a hard time guessing close enough to consult a dictionary.)
5. This one doesn't seem quirky at all to me, but I'm sure it is to all who know me: my immense love of animals and pets. Most people wouldn't even try to have two dogs, two cats, four rats, a rabbit and a fish PLUS two kids under one roof. (That's TEN pets!) But I love having all of them. And if we had more room, I'd happily add a terrarium for an iguana or something along those lines. And we really would like to get chickens next spring. And I still think I'd love (someday) those tiny little pigs (not potbellied, these are TINY and cuter--they look just like "real" pigs.)
6. Hm, I suppose the other weird things I do qualify as quirks, though. Home births, cloth diapers, carrying my kids in the sling, co-sleeping (part time), and homeschooling probably all fall into the "quirky" realm for most people. I just hang out with so many people that do similar things that I no longer feel very quirky about those things!
Did I miss any?
I tag Debra, Mary, Native Minnow & Blue. (And anyone else who would like to be tagged!)