Wednesday, July 04, 2012

summertime

Pregnancy update: 28 and a half weeks along.  As I probably won't go past 38 weeks, there are less than 10 weeks to go.  In terms of feeling prepared to welcome two babies into our family and care for them, these feels like a very short amount of time.  But in terms of being uncomfortable and oh-so-very-pregnant, the same time span feels very very long indeed.  I've often thought, though, that the discomfort at the end of pregnancy is one of the final motivators to actually have the baby on the outside, where it requires a lot more effort to care for.  You just feel so glad to NOT be pregnant anymore that doing all that is required still seems like a better deal that hauling around an extra 25-40 (or more) pounds!

The kids and I have been making it to the water park every week, except last week and maybe this week (we might make it over before the week has ended).  Even though I can't go on any of the slides, I have enjoyed just sitting in the kiddie areas with Sprout or, especially, floating along the Lazy River with him.  It feels so nice to be suspended in the water.  If only it were practical to live in the water most of the pregnancy! Noodle and Spud are independent enough to be able to do their own things while we are there, and we've been fortunate enough to get to go with friends on occasion, too, which is great fun. 

My biggest challenge this week seems to be not having the physical energy to accomplish very much.  On most days, I lay down with Sprout in the early afternoon for our naps.  After about 1-1.5 hours, my mind feels very rested and then restless and wants to be doing something, but my body prefers to just stay in bed (if I'm comfortable) or just relocate my resting to a different location.  On Monday I was feeling pretty discouraged about this and broke down in tears while talking to David.  He hugged me and kindly reminded me that I am being productive, I'm being REproductive, and that this is a good time to practice mindfulness and just focus on breathing in and breathing out.  This time will pass quickly and there are plenty of good things I can do during this time that are better than organizing or keeping the house tidy. I really appreciate his perspective, and am trying to keep those things in mind.  I did decide to start a sewing project, as I can work on it a bit most days.  I like to make the kids some sort of mom-made toy for Christmas, and am pretty sure that after the twins arrive, I won't find time to sew FIVE of anything.  So I'm starting now and hope to have five cute little "monsters" finished over the next few weeks. 

This is my 799th blog post.  I feel like there is some pressure to have something noteworthy for #800.  Any ideas? 

2 comments:

Pam Williams said...

David gives good advice. He's a keeper.

Mary said...

Meditation is a good idea! So is just reading a bunch of books while you have an excuse to take it easy for ten more weeks.