Sunday, May 02, 2010

happiness

I think I have figured out how to be happy, at least most of the time. It's part having realistic expectations, and part enjoying the little things, and part letting the bad things slide "like water off a duck's back." There's also the part about being grateful for all the good things, and having hope for the areas that need improvement. I've liked this verse from Phillippians 4:11 for quite a while, now, and often think about it when I'm feeling discontent

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

This week we made a chart to check off whenever we do our daily "Anchors." The Anchors are Morning Prayer, Devotional, Family Scriptures, Evening Prayer, and David & Mindy Prayer. I made a chart and assigned a monetary reward based on how many checks we get during the week. We got 23 checks this week, so we earned $3 for our Family Fun jar. (The max amount/week is $5 if we do 24+.) We've realized that doing the little important things really help shape our days and keep things in balance. We are more productive because we start and end things at a set time, instead of just whenever, which is a challenge when you homeschool and can pretty much set your own schedule. Anyways, it was a good week.


3 comments:

Pam Williams said...

When we were married a little more than 40 years ago, we were instructed by the officiator to pray together every day, and we have done that. In fact, it's the only thing I remember from the officiator's instructions that day. So when we heard it again more recently in church, we just looked at each other and smiled.

Mary said...

Are you saying that you are buying your children's testimonies? Well, whatever works! (Kidding)

I agree with all your points about maintaining happiness. Sometimes I am impressed at how hard the adversary works away at a positive attitude and our joy. And there are moments when he is successful, because it's dang hard to always keep that perspective or to pull oneself out of a dark mood. I'm grateful, though, to have God's plan for our happiness outlined for me on a weekly and daily basis when I take the time to learn from Him.

mindy said...

Ha ha, Mary. The kids are always willing to do "the right stuff," it's really just that David and I forget and needed some accountability.

It's funny that I wrote this yesterday, because BOY was today a Monday! But in spite of the stress and frustration of the day, it didn't really drag me down too badly. I am better at accepting days like today as just part of life, and not beating myself (or anyone else!) up too much. Tomorrow will, most likely, go much better. I hope.